Please wait while we load the requested 10-K report or click the link below:
Akorn Reports 2011 Fourth Quarter and Year-End Financial Results
-Reports Record Q4 Revenue of $42.6 million and Q4 Adjusted EPS of $0.11-
LAKE FOREST, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 6, 2012--Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKRX), a niche generic pharmaceutical company, today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011.
Raj Rai, Chief Executive Officer commented, “We had a strong fourth quarter as a result of our ability to re-launch products that have been impacted by the industry-wide drug shortages as well as favorable market conditions for certain approved products. We expect similar trends to continue in 2012 and our challenge will be in successfully maneuvering through the shortages while addressing capacity constraints at our plants. We expect 2012 to be another strong year and will continue building and expanding our infrastructure to support growth. Key focus areas for the Company include: expanding manufacturing and R&D capacities, adding a dedicated hospital sales force, and integrating the Kilitch assets to broaden our global reach.”
2011 Key Highlights and Accomplishments
Tenth consecutive quarter of growth in core revenue, adjusted EBITDA
and gross margin. Akorn’s core business consists of the ophthalmic,
hospital drugs & injectables and contract services segments.
- Core business revenue growth of 77% over the prior year quarter and annual 2011 core revenue growth of 69% over the prior year.
- Expanded our consolidated annual gross margins from 50% in 2010 to 58% in 2011 and ended the year with fourth quarter 2011 consolidated gross margins of 60%.
- Completed the first full year of product development from new R&D center established in early 2010. Completed the development of 30 ANDAs and filed 22.
Raised $120 million in a convertible debt offering with the proceeds
earmarked for business development.
- Acquired Advanced Vision Research (“AVR”), a leading OTC ophthalmic player in the dry eye market.
- Acquired three niche, branded injectable products from H. Lundbeck A/S (“Lundbeck”).
- Additionally, acquired 4 approved products: 3 NDAs and 1 ANDA, and in-licensed 2 products in development.
- Entered into agreement to acquire certain assets of Kilitch Drugs (India) Limited to expand the Company’s capacity and capabilities in sterile injectables. The acquisition closed on February 28, 2012.
- Acquired a minority stake in Aciex Therapeutics Inc., an ophthalmic drug development company with a focus on developing novel therapeutics to treat front-of-eye diseases, and signed a global licensing and manufacturing agreement for one of Aciex’s lead products under development.
Consolidated revenue for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $42.6 million, up 77% over the prior year quarter’s consolidated revenue of $24.0 million. The increase in consolidated revenue was driven by the initial launch and the relaunch of a number of injectable and ophthalmic products, the AVR and Lundbeck acquisitions, and organic growth of established products, offset by decreases in contract services revenue.
Consolidated revenue for the year 2011 was $136.9 million, up 58% over the prior year consolidated revenue of $86.4 million.
The following information was filed by Akorn Inc (AKRX) on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 as an 8K 2.02 statement, which is an earnings press release pertaining to results of operations and financial condition. It may be helpful to assess the quality of management by comparing the information in the press release to the information in the accompanying 10-K Annual Report statement of earnings and operation as management may choose to highlight particular information in the press release.
View differences made from one year to another to evaluate Akorn Inc's financial trajectory
Compare this 10-K Annual Report to its predecessor by reading our highlights to see what text and tables were
removed , and by Akorn Inc.